Erasing data on old ipad

After transferring data (via iCloud) to new iPad, do I need to sign out of iCloud on new ipad and turn it off before erasing old iPad?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 4:08 AM

Following the procedure to which you were directed by MrHoffman will not cause you to lose any data from the new iPad or iCloud.

To be clear, if you follow the process, you do not need to sign-out from iCloud services in order to preserve data.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

By contrast, attempted manual deletion of data would be replicated via iCloud sync’.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2023 4:08 AM in response to Piccologal

Following the procedure to which you were directed by MrHoffman will not cause you to lose any data from the new iPad or iCloud.

To be clear, if you follow the process, you do not need to sign-out from iCloud services in order to preserve data.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

By contrast, attempted manual deletion of data would be replicated via iCloud sync’.

Jul 2, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Piccologal

Piccologal wrote:

I’ve been to that link several times and it doesn’t answer the question. Please read the bolded part in my question: “Do I need to log out of iCloud on the NEW iPad and turn the NEW iPad off before I erase the old one”?

The list of things not involved is infinite.

Apple doc is pretty good at telling you what to do, and what to specifically avoid.

It’s not possible to tell the reader everything not to do.

I do not want to erase what is in the cloud that is now on my NEW iPad by erasing the old iPad.

If that destruction were a possibility, it would most likely either be made not a possibility in the user interface, or the possibility would be clearly listed in the user interface and/or the docs. (Forgetting a password to an encrypted note is bad, for instance, and the docs and the UI both very clearly call that out.)

Erasing data on old ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.