📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CAN I GET TAX FREE APPLE PRODUCTS IN JAPAN IN JULY 2023

so I am travelling to Japan and was planning to buy an apple macbook air and watch, now the net tells me that Apple has stopped the tax-free system. Now my question is whether I can get the tax-free at Japan airport on the purchase.

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 3:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 8:20 PM

Thank you, Mr. Minanoto. I am quite sure that your guideline help a lot of people who are confusing about the Apple Store’s decision.

But I have one more question, and I think you can help me 😊

what if I go to Japan and buy an iPhone from the official Apple Store in Japan, with tax included, of course. Can I refund the tax at the airport later in the date that I will leave Japan?

because I don’t sure that Apple Store say “no” completely for any method of the tax refund, or they just don’t want to do tax refund in store only.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2023 8:20 PM in response to Miyamato

Thank you, Mr. Minanoto. I am quite sure that your guideline help a lot of people who are confusing about the Apple Store’s decision.

But I have one more question, and I think you can help me 😊

what if I go to Japan and buy an iPhone from the official Apple Store in Japan, with tax included, of course. Can I refund the tax at the airport later in the date that I will leave Japan?

because I don’t sure that Apple Store say “no” completely for any method of the tax refund, or they just don’t want to do tax refund in store only.

Aug 19, 2023 8:09 PM in response to TAX_REFUND_IN_JAPAN_AFTER_FINE

I'm currently in Japan, and want to buy Apple products as well. You can get pretty much every Apple product at larger electronic stores that also do Tax Free. When it comes to MacBooks there's always the issue with non-Japanese keyboards. They usually don't have many US-keyboard MacBooks in stock, if at all.

They offered me to order it with a US-keyboard, but then it wouldn't be tax-free anymore, as they ship it directly to your address in Japan. Therefore, you can go to an Apple Store, where they often have US-keyboard models in stock, but also don't do tax-free.

Best chances to find an electronic store with US-keyboards in stock is definitely Tokyo, haven't been lucky in Kyoto and Osaka so far.

Even without tax-free MacBooks for instance, are still 20% cheaper compared to Europe, for example.

Hope that helps :)

CAN I GET TAX FREE APPLE PRODUCTS IN JAPAN IN JULY 2023

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.