Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Why is imessage and FaceTime not working after update to 15.7.7

Why is imessage and FaceTime not working after update to 15.7.7?

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 7:15 AM

This is nothing to do with iOS 15.7.7

To activate iMessage and FaceTime using your Phone number

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS*** with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency that issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS*** Only)

If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple ...

*** You may not have an SMS plan enabled by your carrier for the SIM/eSIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS services.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2023 7:15 AM in response to SB1BS

This is nothing to do with iOS 15.7.7

To activate iMessage and FaceTime using your Phone number

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS*** with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency that issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS*** Only)

If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple ...

*** You may not have an SMS plan enabled by your carrier for the SIM/eSIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS services.

Jul 2, 2023 10:31 AM in response to SB1BS

SB1BS wrote: "87% not bad for an old phone."

And perhaps not accurate when the Maximum Capacity algorithm is assessing such an old iPhone. So regardless of that 87% reading, an original iPhone 7 Plus battery is well overdue for replacement. Have the weak, aging battery replaced and you'll probably find that the cause of the problem was not the update after all:

iPhone Battery Service

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Jul 23, 2023 12:06 PM in response to Rnbhunsb

Rnbhunsb wrote: "Yeah it’s gotta be the update… how can it be the battery? I’ve had same issue… iMessage and FaceTime worked fine until ios15.7.7..."

As previously explained above, some iPhone features may not work if the battery is weak. Another possibility is if the battery is a nongenuine iPhone battery. As Apple says: "Using nongenuine batteries might also result in unexpected behavior after installation, device software updates..." Source:

About genuine iPhone batteries

What model of iPhone do you have?...

Settings > General > About > Model Name

õ¿õ¬

Jul 2, 2023 10:10 AM in response to SB1BS

Dears 

I should have mentioned that  I have had a perfectly usable iPhone 7 Plus since more or less release date of the phone. And same operator. I have had no issues before I issued the update to version 15.7.7

I have tried every suggestion on Apple support web. I have done a force quit, just in case. The only thing I have not done is to reset to fabrication setting.

Jul 23, 2023 11:49 AM in response to SB1BS

SB1BS wrote: "...Why would the battery be the issue for not connecting to imessage and FaceTime."

A weak, original iPhone 7 Plus battery may fail to provide sufficient power to the iPhone's antenna to make a network connection for iMessage and FaceTime.

SB1BS wrote: "it was connected before the update so why wouldn’t it connect now after the update."

The long, demanding process of applying an iOS update to an old iPhone with a weak battery can be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" – but some users mistakenly assume the iOS update to be at fault.

õ¿õ¬

Why is imessage and FaceTime not working after update to 15.7.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.