iphone will not connect to wifi even though wifi works

iphone will not connect to wifi even though wifi works?

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 9:53 AM

billfrommatthews wrote:

figured out that I still had a vpn app on it that was connected...once i disconnected, then wifi worked..

thx for the vpn tip

Glad you found it!

VPN frequently creates more problems than it solves. But one important fact is that when you install VPN it configures itself to the specific hardware, iOS version and network that the phone uses. If any of those change it can break the VPN. So any time you change any of these you may need to delete the VPN app and profile, restart your phone then add them back (if you still want to use VPN) so it can configure itself to the new environment.

Here's Apple's advice on VPN→

Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

Something to think about→Don't use VPN - GITHUB

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 9:53 AM in response to billfrommatthews

billfrommatthews wrote:

figured out that I still had a vpn app on it that was connected...once i disconnected, then wifi worked..

thx for the vpn tip

Glad you found it!

VPN frequently creates more problems than it solves. But one important fact is that when you install VPN it configures itself to the specific hardware, iOS version and network that the phone uses. If any of those change it can break the VPN. So any time you change any of these you may need to delete the VPN app and profile, restart your phone then add them back (if you still want to use VPN) so it can configure itself to the new environment.

Here's Apple's advice on VPN→

Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

Something to think about→Don't use VPN - GITHUB

Jul 2, 2023 6:23 PM in response to billfrommatthews

The Related Article above your name on this page, that you were reading just before you posted here, has suggestions on troubleshooting your issue. If the Related Article doesn't answer your question please post back with more details about the issue and another user in this user-to-user forum will try to help.

But basic things to check:

• What message do you see when you try to connect?
  • If you are using VPN, delete the VPN profile and app (you can add them back after completing troubleshooting)
  • Tap on the i next to the network name and forget the network, then reconnect to it
  • Restart your router by removing all power from it for about 15 seconds
  • If convenient, test with a different network, such as Starbuck's or MacDonald's
  • Reset network settings:

Open Settings

• Tap General
  • Tap Transfer or Reset Phone
  • Tap  Reset
  • Tap Reset Network Settings

This will erase all Wi-Fi passwords, but will not result in any other data loss.

Please post back with the results.

iphone will not connect to wifi even though wifi works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.