Resetting tags to default

I've deleted all my tags from Finder, how do I reset them to the default ones?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 5:52 AM

Your options in order of time investment:

1. Get that com.apple.finder.plist back from a Time Machine backup that occurred before you removed the tags.
    1. Run /Applications/Time Machine.app
    2. On the first Finder Window of that interface, press shift+cmd+G to open a Go To Folder panel
      1. Copy and paste: ~/Library/Preferences into that interface and press return.
      2. In that new Finder window, use its search field to enter: name:finder
    3. On the Time Machine interface, retreat in time to before you removed the tags, and from [2.2], click on the com.apple.finder.plist file and then click Restore.
    4. Reboot, and then check Finder > Preferences > Tags and review if the basic tags have been restored.
  2. Boot into Recovery and reinstall the operating system (as suggested by BDAqua).
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 5:52 AM in response to vlbrt1102

Your options in order of time investment:

1. Get that com.apple.finder.plist back from a Time Machine backup that occurred before you removed the tags.
    1. Run /Applications/Time Machine.app
    2. On the first Finder Window of that interface, press shift+cmd+G to open a Go To Folder panel
      1. Copy and paste: ~/Library/Preferences into that interface and press return.
      2. In that new Finder window, use its search field to enter: name:finder
    3. On the Time Machine interface, retreat in time to before you removed the tags, and from [2.2], click on the com.apple.finder.plist file and then click Restore.
    4. Reboot, and then check Finder > Preferences > Tags and review if the basic tags have been restored.
  2. Boot into Recovery and reinstall the operating system (as suggested by BDAqua).

Jul 3, 2023 1:06 PM in response to vlbrt1102

And if you mean you went into Finder Preferences : Tags, and whacked everything, then that's another issue. If true, launch the Terminal and enter the following:

defaults read com.apple.Finder FavoriteTagNames

You should see:

and if nothing appears, you will need to get the Finder plist back from your preceding Time Machine backup by using /Applications/Time Machine.app. The file in question to restore is:

/Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Beginning with Monterey, Apple stopped storing the custom Finder tag names in a local .plist and began preserving them in a sqlite3 database. I have an AppleScript that can get the original tag names and append a list of custom tag names from that database to produce a sorted list of known tag names. These are not automatically entered back into Finder preferences though.

Resetting tags to default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.