Read article that effective July 2023, Apple is no longer saving photos on my Iphone 13 Pro

Read article that effective July 2023, Apple is no longer saving photos on my Iphone 13 Pro. Is this true?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 7:24 PM

Hello bandhauer2,

My Photo Stream is going away July 26, 2023. Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown - Apple Support.

If your photos are within iCloud Photo you will not lose them.

Apple has said:

"Moving forward, iCloud Photos is the best way to keep the photos and videos you take up to date across all your devices and safely stored in iCloud. If you already have iCloud Photos enabled on all of your devices, you don't need to do anything else — your photos already sync to iCloud. To check, on your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > your name > iCloud. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click your name, then click iCloud. Make sure that it says "On" next to Photos on each of your devices."

Make sure these settings are toggled on for all of your Apple devices and you will be all set!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 7:24 PM in response to bandhauer2

Hello bandhauer2,

My Photo Stream is going away July 26, 2023. Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown - Apple Support.

If your photos are within iCloud Photo you will not lose them.

Apple has said:

"Moving forward, iCloud Photos is the best way to keep the photos and videos you take up to date across all your devices and safely stored in iCloud. If you already have iCloud Photos enabled on all of your devices, you don't need to do anything else — your photos already sync to iCloud. To check, on your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > your name > iCloud. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click your name, then click iCloud. Make sure that it says "On" next to Photos on each of your devices."

Make sure these settings are toggled on for all of your Apple devices and you will be all set!

Jul 4, 2023 10:06 AM in response to bandhauer2

bandhauer2 wrote:

Read article that effective July 2023, Apple is no longer saving photos on my Iphone 13 Pro. Is this true?

Absolutely not. Any photos you take with your iPhone stay on your iPhone until you manually delete them.

MPS is just a way to sync photos from the iPhone to a Mac's library automatically. Any photos added to the Mac's library will be shown in the MPS but you'll have to save them manually to your iPhone from the stream.

After MPS is shut down there will be three alternative ways to sync your photos from your iPhone to your Mac:

1 - enable iCloud Library. That will automatically sync your Mac's library with your iPhone's library. You may have to purchase additional iCloud Drive space to accommodate the size of the resulting library

2 - connect your iPhone to your Mac with its USB charging cable and open the phone. Next open Photos and import the Photos from the iPhone to the Mac's library. Or you can use the app Image Capture to download all or selected photos to the library or a folder on the Desktop.

3 - use AirDrop. A good way if only a few photos to download each time and from my Mac to my iPhone.

Personally, I've already disabled My Photo Stream and am using AriDrop and the USB cable methods to download photos to my iMac and from my Mac to my iPhone.

Jul 5, 2023 12:07 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much for clarifying and suggestions. I first read the article in Tech Today by Lifewire. Is this a good website to get updates or would you recommend another one? Thank you so much again, have a wonderful day and be safe, Pat

PS I am still learning many things that my 13Pro has to offer. Wish they still had the classes you could attend.

Jul 5, 2023 12:17 PM in response to pjswiz

Thank you so much for the clarification. I receive Tech Today by Lifewire is where I read it. I've had Iphones since the 4 now have 13Pro. Love them! I'm still learning a lot of what they can do.... wish Apple still had the classes to learn with. Thanks again have super day and stay safe, Pat

PS next on the list is learning to access I cloud... :-)

Read article that effective July 2023, Apple is no longer saving photos on my Iphone 13 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.