I cant update my iphone 6 into ios15

I cant update my iphone 6plus into IOS15

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 1:15 AM

Do you have an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 6s Plus? If you have an iPhone 6, then it can only be updated to iOS 12. If you have an iPhone 6s Plus then you can update it to iOS 15.

——-

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software Update: If there is an update available for your iPhone then it will be listed here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and update your iPhone. 

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • Ensure that you do not have a beta profile installed from a previous version
  • The iPhone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 8GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2023 1:15 AM in response to Katrinakier

Do you have an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 6s Plus? If you have an iPhone 6, then it can only be updated to iOS 12. If you have an iPhone 6s Plus then you can update it to iOS 15.

——-

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software Update: If there is an update available for your iPhone then it will be listed here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and update your iPhone. 

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • Ensure that you do not have a beta profile installed from a previous version
  • The iPhone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 8GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

May 16, 2024 8:24 PM in response to Omusah220

You are correct.

The last and final update for the iPhone 6 Plus was iOS 12.5.7. The iPhone 6 Plus cannot meet the hardware requirements for any iOS version higher than iOS 12.5.7.

You will need an iPhone 7 if you want to run iOS 15.

You will need an iPhone 8 if you want to run iOS 16.

You will need an iPhone XR or higher if you want to run iOS 17.

I cant update my iphone 6 into ios15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.