So, if I turn off the shared library option do the photos return to their original place in photos on an iMac?

I have recently turned on shared library on my iPhone so all photos are shared with my family and this has resulted in the photo application on my iMac losing virtually all photos from my personal library forcing me to log onto the cloud to view.

So, if I turn off the shared library option do the photos return to their original place in photos on an iMac?

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 5:27 AM

You should first move all photos you shared from your own personal library back from the shared library to your personal library, and only then disable the shared library.

When you leave a library, you have the option to receive a copy of what you have shared or of all shared photos.

See: How to use iCloud Shared Photo Library - Apple Support

"If you're a participant, you can leave a Shared Library at any time. You can choose to receive a copy of everything from the Shared Library in your Personal Library, or just what you contributed.

Learn how to leave a Shared Library"

When you remove your shared photos yourself from the shared library, they will remain in the albums, where they have been. I am not sure, if this will also happen, when you leave a library. It is not documented. So it might be safer to move all photos you shared back to your personal library yourself.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2023 5:27 AM in response to telwibbs

You should first move all photos you shared from your own personal library back from the shared library to your personal library, and only then disable the shared library.

When you leave a library, you have the option to receive a copy of what you have shared or of all shared photos.

See: How to use iCloud Shared Photo Library - Apple Support

"If you're a participant, you can leave a Shared Library at any time. You can choose to receive a copy of everything from the Shared Library in your Personal Library, or just what you contributed.

Learn how to leave a Shared Library"

When you remove your shared photos yourself from the shared library, they will remain in the albums, where they have been. I am not sure, if this will also happen, when you leave a library. It is not documented. So it might be safer to move all photos you shared back to your personal library yourself.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.