Can't add music to itunes library

When I try to add music to itunes, sometimes it says it links and plays the animation and then nothing is there, the file doesn't get added to the library. They are in an mp3 format that works with every other player ever, and the files that won't add seem to be random. I've already tried the thing with copying them to the automatically add to itunes folder, but they don't automatically add or move to a not added folder. They come from a variety of sources, some of them audio from videos, some of them sent over from other devices, and some of them my own music I created. How do I add music to my library?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 1:08 AM

How are you looking for the newly added music in your iTunes Library?

kaito420 wrote:

They come from a variety of sources, some of them audio from videos, some of them sent over from other devices, and some of them my own music I created.

That leads to the question of whether the tags for the files have been filled in.

If a file is missing the tags for track name and you search by track title, or doesn't have the artist name filled in and you search for that artist, you won't find the song. Note that having the artist name as part of the filename does not guarantee that iTunes will work that out.

To find recently imported (added) audio, use either the Recently Added list in the top left corner of your iTunes window:

or alternatively, using the Songs view (1.) and the Date Added column (2.):

To display the Date Added column, right-click the Column Header bar (3.) and select Date Added from the context menu. Then left-click the Date Added header to sort by that column. To reverse the order of the list, tap the header a second time. When the Date Added arrow is pointing down, the most recently added songs are top in the list.

If the songs are not there, they have not been successfully added. If they are there, but with crucial track information missing, you can edit the songs to add that information.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 1:08 AM in response to kaito420

How are you looking for the newly added music in your iTunes Library?

kaito420 wrote:

They come from a variety of sources, some of them audio from videos, some of them sent over from other devices, and some of them my own music I created.

That leads to the question of whether the tags for the files have been filled in.

If a file is missing the tags for track name and you search by track title, or doesn't have the artist name filled in and you search for that artist, you won't find the song. Note that having the artist name as part of the filename does not guarantee that iTunes will work that out.

To find recently imported (added) audio, use either the Recently Added list in the top left corner of your iTunes window:

or alternatively, using the Songs view (1.) and the Date Added column (2.):

To display the Date Added column, right-click the Column Header bar (3.) and select Date Added from the context menu. Then left-click the Date Added header to sort by that column. To reverse the order of the list, tap the header a second time. When the Date Added arrow is pointing down, the most recently added songs are top in the list.

If the songs are not there, they have not been successfully added. If they are there, but with crucial track information missing, you can edit the songs to add that information.

Can't add music to itunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.