Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Does opening the back of a Macbook Air M2 and placing thermal pads invalidate the warranty?

Will I void the warranty if I open the back of a MacBook Air M2, add thermal pads, and then close it? I live in Italy if this can help for warranty guidelines.

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 4:28 PM

rikivideo9 wrote:

Will I void the warranty if I open the back of a MacBook Air M2, add thermal pads, and then close it? I live in Italy if this can help for warranty guidelines.

Why do you think you need to add "thermal pads"? Are you having an issue that maybe we can help you with?

Here are some guidelines regarding keeping your Mac at proper operating temperatures: Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2023 4:28 PM in response to rikivideo9

rikivideo9 wrote:

Why do you think you need to add "thermal pads"? Are you having an issue that maybe we can help you with?

Here are some guidelines regarding keeping your Mac at proper operating temperatures: Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Jul 4, 2023 4:33 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Since I saw videos on the Internet where applying thermal pads decreased the temperature under stress by as much as 10 degrees, I was curious to apply them myself. In your experience, is it possible that using Xcode can suffer from thermal throttling by also using the simulator for iPhone, iPad and other devices? Same thing with Android Studio.

Jul 4, 2023 4:36 PM in response to rikivideo9

rikivideo9 wrote:

Since I saw videos on the Internet where applying thermal pads decreased the temperature under stress by as much as 10 degrees, I was curious to apply them myself. In your experience, is it possible that using Xcode can suffer from thermal throttling by also using the simulator for iPhone, iPad and other devices? Same thing with Android Studio.

You do not need to use "thermal pads". Follow the instructions in the link I provided.

Does opening the back of a Macbook Air M2 and placing thermal pads invalidate the warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.