EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE DISPLAYS TWICE IN FINDER - RECENT OCCURRENCE THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY

The same problem as raised in 01.2023.

External hard drive shows up twice on Finder. Can see identical files in both, can open from either and access files. This never happened until recently. If delete either of them cannot access the other as it says original file not there or some such.

I need a simple fix not a whole host of chores to do as was suggested before and looks like it got no resolution.I'm not too tech savvy.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 8:25 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 4, 2023 11:51 PM in response to SaigonRoger

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE DISPLAYS TWICE IN FINDER - RECENT OCCURRENCE THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY: […]This never happened until recently.[…]

———-

Report this to Apple:

Did this Occur After a Particular Change?:

It may be a bug in an update. So. If your recently made a change to your macOS (ie update or user creation), then you should report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Software/Firmware Update" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: that is all occurred after installing an update, and how you have troubleshot this this far. Include the URL of this thread.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary

Jul 5, 2023 4:23 AM in response to SaigonRoger

That happens consistently to me too.

So far, I've found no effective fix. My workaround is to right click one of the drives and select "Remove from Sidebar". If it ever becomes a real problem with the OS, I'll deal with that at that time. It's been like this for months and my 2020 27" iMac performs beautifully

At this point it's appears to be little more than a display anomaly.

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE DISPLAYS TWICE IN FINDER - RECENT OCCURRENCE THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.