Accessibility Not Working

I recently updated from Monterey to Ventura and now I can't add programs to Accessibility (System Settings).

I'll try to add applications via the '+' but nothing happens.

Tried dragging them in via Finder but nothing happens.

I restarted the machine (M1 Mac Mini 2021) but that didn't seem to help.

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 7:45 AM

15 replies

Jul 17, 2023 5:06 PM in response to Old Toad

EtreCheckPro version: 6.8.1 (68024)

Report generated: 2023-07-17 19:00:37

Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 2:16

Performance: Excellent

Problem: Computer is restarting

Description:

Mac Mini (m1, 2020) will occasionally restart.

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be malicious and should be reviewed.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.

System extensions installed - This computer has system extensions installed. System extensions can be difficult to uninstall.

Apps crashing - There have been numerous app crashes.

Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

Limited permissions - More information may be available with Full Disk Access.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

Hardware Information:

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Under warranty: Yes

Warranty expiration: 2024-06-06

Mac mini Model: Macmini9,1

2.40 GHz Apple M1 (m1) CPU: 8-core

16 GB RAM - Not upgradeable

Video Information:

Apple M1

S24B300 1600 x 900

LEN LI2323swA 1920 x 1080

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE SSD AP1024Q 1.00 TB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

Internal Apple Fabric NVM Express

disk0s1 [APFS Container] 524 MB

disk1 [APFS Virtual drive] 524 MB (Shared by 4 volumes)

disk1s1 - iSCPreboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (6 MB used)

disk1s2 - xART (APFS) (6 MB used)

disk1s3 - Hardware (APFS) (881 KB used)

disk1s4 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (20 KB used)

disk0s2 [APFS Container] 994.66 GB

disk3 [APFS Virtual drive] 994.66 GB (Shared by 6 volumes)

disk3s1 (APFS) [APFS Container] (9.06 GB used)

disk3s1s1 - Macintosh HD (APFS) [APFS Snapshot] (9.06 GB used)

disk3s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (5.14 GB used)

disk3s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (783 MB used)

disk3s4 - Update (APFS) (21 MB used)

disk3s5 - Data (APFS) [APFS Virtual drive] (531.46 GB used)

disk3s6 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (20 KB used)

disk0s3 [APFS Container] 5.37 GB

disk2 [APFS Virtual drive] 5.37 GB (Shared by 2 volumes)

disk2s1 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (1.59 GB used)

disk2s2 - Update (APFS) (393 KB used)

disk6 - Generic MassStorageClass 255.87 GB

External USB 5 Gbit/s USB

disk6s1 255.84 GB (3.16 GB used)

disk7 - HGST TOURO Mobile 1.00 TB

External USB 5 Gbit/s USB

disk7s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk7s2 [APFS Container] 1000.00 GB

disk8 [APFS Virtual drive] 1000.00 GB (Shared by 1 volumes)

disk8s2 - B*****************i (APFS) (932.15 GB used)

full report:

Jul 18, 2023 10:24 AM in response to zamboknee

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they aprovide false secutiry from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

With that in mind I suggest you uninstall PACE, Tunnelblick and Private Internet Access according to the developers' instructions.

There are quite a few system modifications, many of which I've not seen before, and they could be contributing to the problem.

If, after cleaning out the detritus the problem still persists it might be time to make an appointment at the nearest Apple Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider for a full diagnostic test. The test will be free at Apple but may cost at the AASP.

Accessibility Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.