one key not working correctly on 2021, 16 inch Macbook Pro

I noticed recently that the "S" key on my 2021 16 inch MacBook Pro functions just fine if you click the key in the center, upper left, lower left or lower right... But, if you click in the far upper right corner of that key, it will NOT work at all, ever... You can start from the center and begin moving up toward the upper right corner and it keeps working until you get to the very corner and then, NOTHING... Might not sound like much but I type a lot and I find myself missing an "S" fairly often... Meaning I must often hit near that upper right corner...

Nothing has spilled and otherwise all keys and the computer work fine... What, if anything, might I locally be able to do to fix this issue???? Any help would be appreciated... thanks...

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 5:00 PM

Robert Paris wrote:

I noticed recently that the "S" key on my 2021 16 inch MacBook Pro functions just fine if you click the key in the center, upper left, lower left or lower right... But, if you click in the far upper right corner of that key, it will NOT work at all, ever... You can start from the center and begin moving up toward the upper right corner and it keeps working until you get to the very corner and then, NOTHING... Might not sound like much but I type a lot and I find myself missing an "S" fairly often... Meaning I must often hit near that upper right corner...

Nothing has spilled and otherwise all keys and the computer work fine... What, if anything, might I locally be able to do to fix this issue???? Any help would be appreciated... thanks...

For hardware issues take it in for service—

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

ref

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 5:00 PM in response to Robert Paris

Robert Paris wrote:

For hardware issues take it in for service—

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

ref

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Jul 6, 2023 7:38 AM in response to leroydouglas

Interesting result... I opened a text document and just started typing "S" letters... Only when I would get to the very, very upper right corner would the key stop responding and it was a 100% cessation of reporting an "S".... A tiny bit down toward the center from there and it would work every time... Just that small amount higher into the very corner and it stopped 100% of the time... I chose to push down on that key in that very upper corner, quite hard... I did so a number of times (not working any of those times) and after several (maybe 10) HARD pushes, I felt a click... And from that point forward, the "S" key began working normally again, in the center and in all four corners...

So, any ideas what clicked??? And what this procedure obviously "fixed"??? Might be useful to understand better how these new magic keys work.... Thoughts???

one key not working correctly on 2021, 16 inch Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.