Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Shared Library Photos being downloaded to the non-creator phone

Why are Shared Library Photos being downloaded to the non-creator of shared library iPhone when I have "Download & Keep Originals" selected in Photos? Should the sharer's photo be just in the cloud? I don't have enough storage on my phone and it's showing that 16,000 photos can't be downloaded to iphone when I have just 4,000 photo taken from my phone!

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 2:28 PM

Hello.

Yes, that is partly the issue with the iCloud shared photo library. The photos act as if they are yours on the non-creators iPhone/device, which means they would be downloaded too. I have the iCloud share photo library as well with my family, but I have optimized iPhone/iPad storage turned on. That is the only real way to be able to store all of the photos, if you want to. If this is a larger issue for you and you don’t want to change the settings of the photo app, the creator of the photo could just put the photos out of the shared library and put them in a shared album? I don’t know if that’s a good solution since there are so many photos. Or, you could leave the iCloud shared library entirely and ask the creator of the photos to share you specific ones that you want.

Hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 2:28 PM in response to raaka

Hello.

Yes, that is partly the issue with the iCloud shared photo library. The photos act as if they are yours on the non-creators iPhone/device, which means they would be downloaded too. I have the iCloud share photo library as well with my family, but I have optimized iPhone/iPad storage turned on. That is the only real way to be able to store all of the photos, if you want to. If this is a larger issue for you and you don’t want to change the settings of the photo app, the creator of the photo could just put the photos out of the shared library and put them in a shared album? I don’t know if that’s a good solution since there are so many photos. Or, you could leave the iCloud shared library entirely and ask the creator of the photos to share you specific ones that you want.

Hope this helps.

Shared Library Photos being downloaded to the non-creator phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.