I still have an iTunes folder? How can I get rid of it but keep my playlists?

I recently bought a new MBP14 and rather than migrate over from my old MBAir, I decided to start fresh. I'd had the Air since 2014, so I know it's got a lot of crap that is better left unmigrated. However, I didn't want to have to recreate all my playlists again in Music. So, I went looking and discovered that the music directory was a mess. some media was in the music folder, some in the old iTunes folder, so I had to copy it all to the new Mac. So I've got an iTunes Media folder on my brand new MBP😂. Is there a way to force Music to reorganize all the files into one proper Music library/media folder and delete the iTunes library? Without losing all my playlists?

Also, I kinda remember there used to be a way to force the app to go looking for music to add. I'm certain there are a few zombie tracks in there when I deleted them and accidentally clicked "Keep File". I'd love to find all those and delete them as well. I'd really like my music folder organized and streamlined since they don't give us much space in these machines for a reasonable cost.

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 7:30 PM

Here are some links that should help:

Make a split library portable - Apple Community

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic. Especially the 'Consolidate your iTunes library' section.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

I still have an iTunes folder? How can I get rid of it but keep my playlists?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.