Not receiving SMS or OTP on my Iphone 14 plus from international locations

I tried to get a message center number on my phone and couldnt retrieve it using*#500 ..... , first where can i see the message center number on my iphone and can I change it manually.

iPhone 14 Plus

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 6:38 AM

There is no message center number on an iPhone.

To receive SMS and OTP from international locations you need to contact your carrier and enable International Roaming.

Alternatively, if you have multiple iPhones then... (UK and USA are mere examples)

If you leave the SIM (UK) in the UK on another iPhone and keep it switched ON then you can continue to send and receive iMessage and SMS from the same Phone number number using data sim taken from the USA. Read more below...

Yes, it will work. Different State/Country/Continent and different WiFI? No problems

1. The two devices need not be on the same WiFi.
  2. Even if the devices are across different continents the iMessages will get delivered to all the devices with certain preconditions. You may read below

iMessage works in the following manner.

• Phone No. P1, Network Carrier C1, Device D1 (iPhone)
  • Phone No. P2, Network Carrier C2, Device D2 (iPad with Cellular Service)
  • Device D3 (Mac)

Following assumptions

All devices D1, D2 & D3 uses the same Apple ID

D1 > Settings > Messages > Text Message Forward > [Both D2 & D3 are enabled]

D1 > Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > P1 is Selected

D2 > Settings > Messages > Text Message Forward > [Both D1 & D3 are enabled]

D2 > Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > P2 is Selected

D3 > Messages > Preferences > iMessage > Start New Conversation from > P1 is Selected

You can send and receive iMessages as follows

• Send from P1 using D1 to any other iOS device across the globe. (P1 must remain in the same carrier network of C1 or have international roaming enabled using P1)
  • Send from P2 using D2 to any other iOS device across the globe. (P2 must remain in the same carrier network of C2 or have international roaming enabled using P2)
  • Send from P1 using D3 to any other iOS device across the globe. (P1 must remain the same carrier network of C1 or have international roaming enabled using P1)
  • Device D3 can send and receive iMessage using P1 being anywhere in the globe under any WiFi network but (P1 must remain the same carrier network or have international roaming enabled using P1)
  • Can send iMessage using Apple ID anytime anywhere any device

In a nutshell

If I have a Phone Number from India on my iPhone and I travel to the USA without international roaming enabled., my iPhone will seize to send messages using the number I had.

But If I leave the iPhone in India (Powered) and travel with my Mac to the USA, I can continue to send and receive iMessages / SMS using the same phone number I had, from the USA. The recipients will receive it as though it is being sent from my Phone number.

I Hope, I have been able to make things clear.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 6:38 AM in response to Kiranmacboo

There is no message center number on an iPhone.

To receive SMS and OTP from international locations you need to contact your carrier and enable International Roaming.

Alternatively, if you have multiple iPhones then... (UK and USA are mere examples)

If you leave the SIM (UK) in the UK on another iPhone and keep it switched ON then you can continue to send and receive iMessage and SMS from the same Phone number number using data sim taken from the USA. Read more below...

Yes, it will work. Different State/Country/Continent and different WiFI? No problems

1. The two devices need not be on the same WiFi.
  2. Even if the devices are across different continents the iMessages will get delivered to all the devices with certain preconditions. You may read below

iMessage works in the following manner.

• Phone No. P1, Network Carrier C1, Device D1 (iPhone)
  • Phone No. P2, Network Carrier C2, Device D2 (iPad with Cellular Service)
  • Device D3 (Mac)

Following assumptions

All devices D1, D2 & D3 uses the same Apple ID

D1 > Settings > Messages > Text Message Forward > [Both D2 & D3 are enabled]

D1 > Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > P1 is Selected

D2 > Settings > Messages > Text Message Forward > [Both D1 & D3 are enabled]

D2 > Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > P2 is Selected

D3 > Messages > Preferences > iMessage > Start New Conversation from > P1 is Selected

You can send and receive iMessages as follows

• Send from P1 using D1 to any other iOS device across the globe. (P1 must remain in the same carrier network of C1 or have international roaming enabled using P1)
  • Send from P2 using D2 to any other iOS device across the globe. (P2 must remain in the same carrier network of C2 or have international roaming enabled using P2)
  • Send from P1 using D3 to any other iOS device across the globe. (P1 must remain the same carrier network of C1 or have international roaming enabled using P1)
  • Device D3 can send and receive iMessage using P1 being anywhere in the globe under any WiFi network but (P1 must remain the same carrier network or have international roaming enabled using P1)
  • Can send iMessage using Apple ID anytime anywhere any device

In a nutshell

If I have a Phone Number from India on my iPhone and I travel to the USA without international roaming enabled., my iPhone will seize to send messages using the number I had.

But If I leave the iPhone in India (Powered) and travel with my Mac to the USA, I can continue to send and receive iMessages / SMS using the same phone number I had, from the USA. The recipients will receive it as though it is being sent from my Phone number.

I Hope, I have been able to make things clear.

Not receiving SMS or OTP on my Iphone 14 plus from international locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.