How do I change the expiration date on my credit card

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 12:35 PM

Are you sure the expiration is the issue? More often the date updated automatically and wants the CVV number updated. It’s 4 digits and on the front of the card for AmEX and 3 digits and on the back of the card for all others. Again, it may look filled in, but if you tap around you’ll get a curser and can enter the digits.

The other options is enter the new card and then you can delete the old card. That might be the simplest at this point.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 12:35 PM in response to Polish Rifle

Are you sure the expiration is the issue? More often the date updated automatically and wants the CVV number updated. It’s 4 digits and on the front of the card for AmEX and 3 digits and on the back of the card for all others. Again, it may look filled in, but if you tap around you’ll get a curser and can enter the digits.

The other options is enter the new card and then you can delete the old card. That might be the simplest at this point.

Jul 6, 2023 12:27 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have tried 3 methods:

1) iPhone X - There is no option to "Tap the expiration field "

2) iCloud.com - There is no option to "Tap the expiration field "

3) App Store (on Mac)Under "Edit payment option", There is no option to "Tap the expiration field "

Is there any other way to get to the credit card in order to change the expiration date, without deleting and adding the card again?

Jul 6, 2023 1:03 PM in response to Vegan Advocate

Thank you both for the responses. "Remove the old card from Apple Pay and install it fresh" That's what I thought I will have to do. The issue on Apple Pay and Shop App (Shopify payment app) was for the payment of my transaction on all 3 of my 3 credit cards would not go through . The Shop App it would not process either. It showed and incorrect expiration date on 2 of the 3 cards. The transaction would not process on Apple Pay either. The difference is that I could not see the expiration dates on Apple Pay. So it appears the expiration dates are not being updated automatically...at least on Shop App. So the problem lies somewhere between the Apple Pay, Shop App and the bank issuing the credit cards. In any case, the transaction went through when I directly payed on the website with my credit card and not through Shop App or Apple Pay... again thanks for the help though.

Jul 6, 2023 1:12 PM in response to Polish Rifle

Good explanation. Part of the issue is that web designers use different implementations of showing expired cards. It’s rare that Apple wants a new expiration date. That was my first question. Apple normally just wants the CVV updated. The bottom line is don’t go by what another site wants and just concentrate on the issue with Apple.

I’m glad we got it worked out and sorry it took so long.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.