uploading individual PDF's to iCloud from high sierra without turning on iCloud for all documents?

i would like to upload some PDF's to iCloud from my desktop (or dropbox) without turning on iCloud so all my documents go to the cloud. i am on high sierra until i can get sorted so i can buy a new computer and upgrade. any suggestions? if not what is the most direct workaround please?

currently they are being send to me in dropbox but what i am doing is gathering them up from my desktop computer into a folder on the desktop. now i would like to upload them to iCloud or get them to FILES app on my phone. THANKS

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 3:11 PM

Turn on iCloud Drive on your Mac, but do not turn on the Desktop and Documents option of iCloud Drive. Then only the files that you add to the iCloud Drive folder in Finder on your Mac will sync with iCloud. With iCloud Drive turned on, you can access the iCloud Drive folder in the Finder sidebar or via the Finder "Go" menu.

See information in Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 3:11 PM in response to hotwheels22

Turn on iCloud Drive on your Mac, but do not turn on the Desktop and Documents option of iCloud Drive. Then only the files that you add to the iCloud Drive folder in Finder on your Mac will sync with iCloud. With iCloud Drive turned on, you can access the iCloud Drive folder in the Finder sidebar or via the Finder "Go" menu.

See information in Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support

Jul 6, 2023 3:21 PM in response to FoxFifth

i see. got it. i had the settings correct (just no Desktop or Documents checked) but i didn't know i could access the storage from finder sidebar > iCloud.

some more questions please?

are there other ways to access iCloud files? i guess i can create an Alias for my desktop? can i put an icon in the top bar like for my dropbox folder?

are there settings i can access for iCloud?

ALSO, is my data COPIED to my hard drive or is it MIRRORED or how do i see (or know) this please?

Jul 6, 2023 4:41 PM in response to hotwheels22

Again, do NOT turn on the Desktop & Documents option -- unless you want all of those files synced as well.

In addition to Finder, you can use an internet browser and access it at www.icloud.com

You can also access it from iPhones and iPads via the Files app or from apps such as Word, Pages, etc.

By default, all files in iCloud Drive have a local copy on your Mac. If you turn on the Optimize Storage option, there may not be a local copy if your Mac is low on space.

uploading individual PDF's to iCloud from high sierra without turning on iCloud for all documents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.