Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How do I use my phone with giving Apple my credit card information?

Everytime I try to update my phone apps such as Banks and other free Apps, The Apple stope is asking my debit/credit/payment.

How do I update my iphone apps without providing my credit card to Apple. I do not intend to buy anything through Iphone.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 8:18 PM

"To make purchases from the App Store and use subscriptions like iCloud+ and Apple Music, you need at least one payment method on file."

It depends on where you live, but it looks like in the U.S. and Canada, your payment method could be an Apple Account balance from buying gift cards in a brick and mortar store, and redeeming them online. If you weren't subscribing to anything, buying any apps, or making any in-app purchases, a $10 gift card deposit presumably would last indefinitely.

Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2023 8:18 PM in response to sadik87

"To make purchases from the App Store and use subscriptions like iCloud+ and Apple Music, you need at least one payment method on file."

It depends on where you live, but it looks like in the U.S. and Canada, your payment method could be an Apple Account balance from buying gift cards in a brick and mortar store, and redeeming them online. If you weren't subscribing to anything, buying any apps, or making any in-app purchases, a $10 gift card deposit presumably would last indefinitely.

Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Jul 7, 2023 7:30 PM in response to muguy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We already know that we can’t download anything without using the App Store. Now now you’re saying that a valid credit card is required to download anything from the App Store- Including free apps such as Chase Bank, Wells Fargo and etc.

I will share this with my 2 million followers-

How do I use my phone with giving Apple my credit card information?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.