Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 1

I have an old Macbook Pro which I'm looking to replace with a new M2 Macbook Pro. The new one has Thunderbolt 4 ports, but I'm using an old 27" Apple display with Thunderbolt 1, plus an external hard drive that also uses Thunderbolt 1. Is there a compatible adapter I can use?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 1:59 AM

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

This translates Thunderbolt protocol. It does not support Mini DisplayPort devices on the Thunderbolt 2 side, or USB-C (USB, USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort) devices on the Thunderbolt 3 side.

It also does not transmit power from one side to the other, so if you hook up a 27" Apple Thunderbolt display to a new Mac laptop with the aid of this adapter, the laptop won't receive any charging power through the Thunderbolt connection. You'll need a separate power source (like the USB-C power brick and charging cable that come with the Mac) to power/charge the laptop.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2023 1:59 AM in response to Larry LaCom

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

This translates Thunderbolt protocol. It does not support Mini DisplayPort devices on the Thunderbolt 2 side, or USB-C (USB, USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort) devices on the Thunderbolt 3 side.

It also does not transmit power from one side to the other, so if you hook up a 27" Apple Thunderbolt display to a new Mac laptop with the aid of this adapter, the laptop won't receive any charging power through the Thunderbolt connection. You'll need a separate power source (like the USB-C power brick and charging cable that come with the Mac) to power/charge the laptop.

Jul 7, 2023 6:07 AM in response to Larry LaCom

Servant of Cats has the answer for the genuine ThunderBolt display, which has a lead-in cord with two component leads, a MagSafe and a ThunderBolt (identified with the ThunderBolt symbol).

---------

The nearly identical-looking 27-in cinema display has a lead-in cord with three component leads, MagSafe, USB-A, and Mini DisplayPort, with the DisplayPort oval-between-two-vertical-lines symbol. That one does NOT work with the US$50 Apple Thunderbolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter. It just needs a US$10 USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter.

Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.