Mac showing 2 of the same monitor in Displays menu

After updating to macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82), my Mac is showing a duplicate of the same 1 monitor connected.

I've tried unplugging the monitor via USB-C, resetting the monitor factory settings, and System Settings continues to think there are 2 Displays connected

Any idea how to reset the Displays menu / help the OS see that there is only one monitor connected?

Mac mini (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 9:46 PM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2023 5:54 PM in response to Fusion Factor

Hello there Fusion Factor,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

Based on the information you have provided, we would recommend taking the following troubleshooting steps. They will help us work to isolate the issue and work toward a resolution on it:

1. Restart your Mac: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support
  2. See if the issue continues in safe mode: Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. See if the issue continues in a new user account: New user or group setup on Mac - Apple Support

Restarting and safe mode specifically each have a tendency to resolve unexpected behaviors on their own. If they do not, a new user will help us determine if the issue is occurring system-wide, or if it is specific to your user account.

Do not hesitate to respond back if you still need help.

Cheers!

Aug 26, 2023 9:04 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

Thank you for your insightful suggestions, Lindsay! I was able to determine that my monitor was showing up 2x in settings because I had the Mac connected to the monitor via HDMI and USB-C both, so the Mac recognized it as two separate signals to send.

Unplugging the HDMI cable seems to have solved the problem (now only 1 display is detected, as USB-C)

Cheers!

Mac showing 2 of the same monitor in Displays menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.