Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Virus alert

Hi everyone,

Since a few days I have a little warning about virus alert showing on the top right corner of the screen.

When I click it does open a page which is for sure a scam of some sort.

Did you had an issue like that and any idea to stop this pop up ?

Thanks for all advise.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 5:43 PM

Those are website notifications. The reason for their appearance is that agreed to have one or more websites send them.

Stop them by following these instructions:

• Go to Safari's Settings (or Preferences) menu > Websites > Notifications, and remove everything there.

For reference: Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Don't allow websites to send you Notifications unless you are 100% certain you want them. I cannot think of a single reason anyone would want to invite that kind of harassment.

Refer to Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. Deselecting "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications" will prevent those websites from even asking your permission to be harassed by them.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2023 5:43 PM in response to fourky01

Those are website notifications. The reason for their appearance is that agreed to have one or more websites send them.

Stop them by following these instructions:

• Go to Safari's Settings (or Preferences) menu > Websites > Notifications, and remove everything there.

For reference: Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Don't allow websites to send you Notifications unless you are 100% certain you want them. I cannot think of a single reason anyone would want to invite that kind of harassment.

Refer to Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. Deselecting "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications" will prevent those websites from even asking your permission to be harassed by them.

Oct 14, 2023 4:36 PM in response to John Galt

I am getting these popups every few seconds nonstop. I was concerned because even though I know they are scams, they appear to be official messages coming through the system settings. I get about twenty different messages. I tried your solution but each time I choose to Deny System Alert, everything freezes up. I have to force quit Safari and try again but the same thing happens. For reference, I have never subscribed to either McAfee or Norton despite the messages that my subscription expired. I do use Malwarebytes which was recommended by Apple and it shows no sign of any problem.

Virus alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.