Why does my text disappear when I switch the camera to 3D?

Hi Everyone!

I found the explanation to this same question that was asked back in December 2020. Luis Sequeira1 had answered and following his (great!) explanation I was able to see the text using a different camera angle. So, at least I know it hasn't disappeared exactly.

What I need to know now though, is how do I get it to show? (Like the "Always in" text is showing) Because I need to move the camera through the letter O in the text (Motion), but I can't very well do that if I can't see it, right?!

The first image shows the text "Motion" before I add in the camera...Perfect. The second image is the text "disappearing" after adding the camera.

Also, can you tell me why the "Always in" text shows but not the Motion text? Does it have something to do with the layering order? I'm seriously confused.

Ps...before anyone thinks I know what I'm doing by looking at my layers etc. please know that I have been following a tutorial and made it this far before totally getting stumped! Thanks ahead of time...I know I can say that because there hasn't been one single time yet that this community has failed me!! :)

Image 1-Before I add the camera...text shows perfectly.

Image 2 - After adding in the camera:

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 6:52 AM

Before adding the camera, everything was in 2D groups, which means that they are stacked according to their layer order. The text "MOTION" was in a layer above the background, so it showed on top of it.

Once you add a camera, you are asked if you want to switch groups to 3D.

This is visible on your screenshots:

Before:

After:

Now, you WANT a 3D group, otherwise it won't interact with the camera in any way.

BUT: in a 3D group, objects are placed according to their X,Y,Z coordinates in 3D space.

My guess is that the Z coordinate of your text puts it behind the background.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2023 6:52 AM in response to Creator_needs_help

Before adding the camera, everything was in 2D groups, which means that they are stacked according to their layer order. The text "MOTION" was in a layer above the background, so it showed on top of it.

Once you add a camera, you are asked if you want to switch groups to 3D.

This is visible on your screenshots:

Before:

After:

Now, you WANT a 3D group, otherwise it won't interact with the camera in any way.

BUT: in a 3D group, objects are placed according to their X,Y,Z coordinates in 3D space.

My guess is that the Z coordinate of your text puts it behind the background.

Jul 9, 2023 3:07 AM in response to Creator_needs_help

Just a little addition: when you have a camera, you can switch views from "active camera" (meaning what will actually be the view when your project exported) to other options, for example "left" or "top". You can then probably easily see how one layer turns out to be behind and therefore hidden by another.

For example, here we can easily see that the text is somewhat behind the rectangle, and thus it is not visible when using the active camera. Changing the Z coordinate would fix it,

Jul 8, 2023 1:30 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis!

Ok great...sort of what I was thinking re: the layering.

I will go in and play around with the layering and maybe the Z coordinate and see what happens. I made a duplicate copy in case I mess things up!

And thank you for explaining those icons. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what meant what!

I feel like Final Cut was way easier to learn - although I understand I am still very much a novice at that too.

Thank you very much for all your help and such speedy responses!!

Jul 9, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

So helpful! Seriously. I appreciate your coming back to explain even more.

I fixed the Z coordinate and that seems to show it now! I figured out the word was still there by playing with the camera angles because that is what you had wrote in the original post I found back in 2020.

I'm still unclear as to when or why I would use these other camera angles...except to show what may be behind or hidden as you say. I will keep on educating myself and keep at the (sometimes painful!) process of trial and error. I try not to come here and bother everyone until I've exhausted every other thing I can think of. This was one of those times! Have a great day! :)

Why does my text disappear when I switch the camera to 3D?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.