Files are greyed out after syncing iTunes Library to iPhone

I am trying to sync my iTunes library on my Windows 11 PC to my iPhone.

I was led to believe this would be fairly straight forward, but it's not proved to be.

I have the latest version of iTunes on the PC, the latest software update on my iPhone and I'm an Apple Music customer too.

As I understand it, Apple tries to 'match' the songs in my iCloud library with what's duplicated on Apple Music. And this works. However I have a lot of files in my library that are not on Apple Music that I uploaded to iTunes from old CDs etc.

But when I try to sync these to my phone via Apple Music most of the files appear greyed out in the library on the phone and can't be accessed, although a handful are available - sometimes on an album 3 of the songs have syncd while the rest haven't...

I've also tried a hard-wire synch by plugging the iPhone into the laptop but that doesn't work either. The process seems to initiate but nothing happens in terms of transfer of files from the laptop to the phone.

It's driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated. I have a large library (120gb) and have tried leaving it a few hours for the sync to work but that didn't happen.

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 6:38 PM

Once hypha subscribe to Apple Music, you should not have to manually "hard-wire" sync your music library to your iPhone. You should be able to access your music library, including your playlists, on any device that has the Apple Music app and signed in with the same Apple ID that you use with your Apple Music subscription. Make sure you have Sync Library enabled on all your devices:

Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support

Perhaps this article will help:

If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2023 6:38 PM in response to aellis80

Once hypha subscribe to Apple Music, you should not have to manually "hard-wire" sync your music library to your iPhone. You should be able to access your music library, including your playlists, on any device that has the Apple Music app and signed in with the same Apple ID that you use with your Apple Music subscription. Make sure you have Sync Library enabled on all your devices:

Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support

Perhaps this article will help:

If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library - Apple Support

Mar 25, 2024 6:25 AM in response to seabasshell

There seems to be an occasional bug where a sync operation doesn't complete properly leaving greyed out tracks on the device when viewed in iTunes which either aren't displayed on the device, or won't play, and don't get replaced during a subsequent sync.

Try removing all music from the phone (Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Music > Edit > Delete All Songs) then try syncing again. If that still doesn't work try the comprehensive approach in this post on erratic syncing.

tt2

Mar 24, 2024 12:28 PM in response to javaliga

I am sorry, are you saying that people like myself who do not use Apple Music and avoid DRMed music and only have offline music that they own, can no longer use the Music app to play that music on their phone?

I have been trying to accept Apple's increasing limitations to the music app, and this is certainly a step too far.

I am not interested in sharing my music with Apple so this is certainly not an option.

It is really sad to see that we are at the end of an era. I understand I am an edge case of an edge case but still sad that the couple of terabytes of CD's and records I have can no longer be managed by Apple Music.

Files are greyed out after syncing iTunes Library to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.