Restore deleted Stickie?

Mac Mini/AppleM1

macOS 13.4.1

Hi folks,

I accidentally deleted a VERY important stickie.

I can typically restore from Time Machine (or remove backup BackBlaze), but nothing I try is working.

Probably because I don't know exactly which stickie-related file? I assume it's in the Library but maybe not?

I appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction. Of course I'm working against a deadline here. :-)

Gina

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 3:00 AM

The new format Stickies are RTFD containers located in:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.apple.Stickies/Data/Library/Stickies

Open a Finder Window, select your user name in the Favorites sidebar, and then double-click through the following folders: Library Containers Stickies Data Library Stickies.

With the Stickies Folder open, launch /Applications/Time Machine.app, and the displayed folder will be that Stickies folder containing .rtfd packages. Each of the individual Stickies can be viewed with the space bar (e.g. Quick Look), and you can go back in time to the specific Stickie that you want to restore. Click on it and the Restore button.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2023 3:00 AM in response to GinaBeana

The new format Stickies are RTFD containers located in:

Open a Finder Window, select your user name in the Favorites sidebar, and then double-click through the following folders: Library Containers Stickies Data Library Stickies.

With the Stickies Folder open, launch /Applications/Time Machine.app, and the displayed folder will be that Stickies folder containing .rtfd packages. Each of the individual Stickies can be viewed with the space bar (e.g. Quick Look), and you can go back in time to the specific Stickie that you want to restore. Click on it and the Restore button.

Aug 2, 2023 6:59 AM in response to Jay_03_

The StickiesDatabase file would be in your local Library folder by that name, and no where else prior to Catalina. If you launch the Stickies application and nothing is presented, and you do not have a Time Machine backup, then there is no hope of prior Stickies content recovery.

See the value of having a working Time Machine solution?

Dec 4, 2023 4:16 PM in response to VikingOSX

I've not been able to find the file

I have something called

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.apple.Stickiesmigration/

but that doesn't seem right and it doesn't lead to

Data/Library/Stickies

Where have I gone wrong? I can poke around some more and perhaps find the path I really want but maybe you can point me in the right direction

Thanks

Restore deleted Stickie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.