Pages - change DOCUMENT measurement units

MacOS 10.15.7 Pages 11.1

I have seen many answers that direct to changing the measurement units of the rulers, however, that doesn't alter the units for document setup.

I have changed the ruler setting from cm to inches, but then when I go to File > Page Setup > Manage Custom Sizes, I am still stuck with metric, with no ability to set a page size in inches.

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 10:49 PM

Hi Greg,

I suspect Pages' measurement units are tied to your region setting and the unit selection made there or applied there.

Mine, in Canada, are in metric units (cm), even for the most common paper size in use here — US Letter, whose official size is 7x10 inches, and is labeled as such in the page size menu list.

In the page size listing format panel, though these dimensions (and the default 1" margins) are expressed as

21.59 x 27.94 cm (and 2.54 cm margins at top, bottom and both sides of the page).

Making the change in behaviour to what you've asked for is, I think, outside the changes we user can make as the default case (unless changing the region your device is assigned to will do the job without other 'unacceptable'changes).

If that won't solve the issue, your next step would be a message to Apple via the 'Provide Pages feedback' link in About Pages.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2023 10:49 PM in response to Greg Mckay

Hi Greg,

I suspect Pages' measurement units are tied to your region setting and the unit selection made there or applied there.

Mine, in Canada, are in metric units (cm), even for the most common paper size in use here — US Letter, whose official size is 7x10 inches, and is labeled as such in the page size menu list.

In the page size listing format panel, though these dimensions (and the default 1" margins) are expressed as

21.59 x 27.94 cm (and 2.54 cm margins at top, bottom and both sides of the page).

Making the change in behaviour to what you've asked for is, I think, outside the changes we user can make as the default case (unless changing the region your device is assigned to will do the job without other 'unacceptable'changes).

If that won't solve the issue, your next step would be a message to Apple via the 'Provide Pages feedback' link in About Pages.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 8, 2023 11:05 PM in response to Barry

Many thanks Barry, I suspect that all you say is spot on. I'm just looking for an easy way to set standard Amazon trim sizes, and while they (Amazon KDP) do show the metric equivalent in brackets, they are invariably decimal place type numbers and it all gets a bit complex.

No matter. It's a shame, because Pages does a whizz bang job of exporting to ePub. The above measurement option, plus the ability to use bleed would be brilliant.

Thanks again – I appreciate your response.

Pages - change DOCUMENT measurement units

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.