Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

How do I do a straight zoom?

I'm using keyframes and setting scale and position to zoom into a picture. Most of the picture is outside, so I have to drag it into position, but the zoom transition is a bit like a rollercoaster when playing the clip. Is there a way to do a straight zoom?

iMac 24″

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 6:59 AM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2023 10:06 AM in response to iphone2023

Say you want to focus the attention on different people in this group, as if you were manning a camera:

To do this with Ken Burns is certainly possible, but quite tricky and difficult to make adjustments if necessary.

However, it is trivial with Crop->Crop - no need to blade, and the speed can be easily adjusted by moving the keyframes in time with the Video Animation pane.

Jul 9, 2023 9:55 AM in response to iphone2023

Ken Burns is fine, but operates on the whole clip. If this works for you, great. If you want to frame different areas of the same clip, using Ken Burns forces you to blade the clip and be careful to have each section work seamlessly with the previous one. In that case, I recommend using the tool next to Ken Burns - Crop->Crop - it is much easier than the Transform tool and far more flexible than KB.

How do I do a straight zoom?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.