Isn’t it possible to somehow play a DVD and watch it on iPad?

I own a wonderful iPad. It is not some fancy iPad where I can write on it, etc. It is probably five years old at least, but it works wonderfully. I have an external cheap DVD player that works wonderfully. Also, is there anyway I can get that DVD player to plug into my iPad? I don’t want to rip or do anything illegal. I simply want to watch movies I own on a DVD player I own, but use the iPad as my television. You would think in today’s world that would somehow be possible but I don’t want to copy something onto the iPads drive for fun use iTunes to do such an such, I just want to plug my DVD into the iPad. Is there some sort of plug-in device that will help me to accomplish this or I am I totally out of luck? Thanks everyone.

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 9:43 AM

iOS/iPadOS devices have no provision to accept direct video input. You can download and play material from some Video streaming services (AppleTV+, Netflix, YouTube etc.) - or just stream directly via an internet connection.

Similarly, iOS/iPadOS devices fundamentally do not support connection of any optical media drives - including the Apple SuperDrive. As such, direct access to optical media (CD, DVD, BD) is not possible.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2023 9:43 AM in response to Machinato

iOS/iPadOS devices have no provision to accept direct video input. You can download and play material from some Video streaming services (AppleTV+, Netflix, YouTube etc.) - or just stream directly via an internet connection.

Similarly, iOS/iPadOS devices fundamentally do not support connection of any optical media drives - including the Apple SuperDrive. As such, direct access to optical media (CD, DVD, BD) is not possible.

Isn’t it possible to somehow play a DVD and watch it on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.