iTunes Backup Still Using C Drive After I Changed Directory

Hello, I need help with iTunes backup please. I was running out of room on my C drive so I changed the location of my backups to D drive, which I have plenty of memory left. My backups are being saved on my D drive and it has been working fine. But I just realized that it's still saving them on my C drive too. That was the whole point of changing the backup location. I thought it would stop saving it to my C drive. How do I stop it from saving on C drive? Thank you in advance for any help.

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 7:44 PM

See the 'Find backups stored on your Mac or PC' section in:

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

"Though you can copy the Backup folder, you should never move it to a different folder, external drive, or network drive."

4 replies

Jul 10, 2023 2:53 AM in response to SueNYY002

See Relocate iOS device backups. Review the rest of the Make a split library portable user tip for advice on organizing the library on secondary or external storage. Once the backup data has been relocated in this fashion it still appears to be on the C: drive, because that is the path iTunes will continue to use, but files stored in the folder actually live in the alternate location you've linked to. Note that iTunes still checks for free space on drive C: so if your backup is going to take 20Gb of storage you must have that free on the C: drive even though the data ends up on D:.

tt2

iTunes Backup Still Using C Drive After I Changed Directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.