📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i use ios 6 in 2023?

I’m thinking of getting an iPhone 4s and using iOS 6 on it. Can I use this as my main phone in 2023?

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 2:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 10:19 AM

I somewhat share your affinity for the iPhone 4, since the 4S was the last model released that had a reasonable size. Everything after that has been either too big, way too big, or an undersized tablet.

All carriers in the U.S. have announced that their 2G, 3G, and CDMA networks have been or are being shut down. Customers currently using them are considered legacy customers, using old cellular plans that are no longer available to new customers.

Most apps in the App Store require at least iOS 13, and some are showing up that require iOS 15 or later. These forums are full of people with an iPhone 5S or 6 running iOS 12 asking for an iOS update to run current apps. The answer is always the same: get a newer iPhone. You're not going to find much that still runs on iOS 6.

The chances of finding an iPhone 4 that is in good condition, fully functional, and has reasonable battery life are very slim. It will also need the 30-pin cable, which breaks easily and will be very hard to find.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2023 10:19 AM in response to f7q

I somewhat share your affinity for the iPhone 4, since the 4S was the last model released that had a reasonable size. Everything after that has been either too big, way too big, or an undersized tablet.

All carriers in the U.S. have announced that their 2G, 3G, and CDMA networks have been or are being shut down. Customers currently using them are considered legacy customers, using old cellular plans that are no longer available to new customers.

Most apps in the App Store require at least iOS 13, and some are showing up that require iOS 15 or later. These forums are full of people with an iPhone 5S or 6 running iOS 12 asking for an iOS update to run current apps. The answer is always the same: get a newer iPhone. You're not going to find much that still runs on iOS 6.

The chances of finding an iPhone 4 that is in good condition, fully functional, and has reasonable battery life are very slim. It will also need the 30-pin cable, which breaks easily and will be very hard to find.

Jul 10, 2023 10:22 AM in response to f7q

f7q wrote:

Is there a way to check which cell phone carriers stop supporting old phone networks? If so, how?

You will not be able to use on an any carrier in the US or in most of the developed world.

Carriers now require a device capable of Voice Over LTE, which means an iPhone 6 or newer.

You will most likely not be able to get any 3rd party apps for it at all.

Don’t waste your time on it. At most, you could use it as a glorified iPod if you want to sync music to it from the iTunes library on your computer.

Jul 11, 2023 3:25 AM in response to edclange

I totally agree with that, I always loved the 3.5 inch display and thought anything else more than 4 inches was way too big. I think the thing I like the most about the 4 and the 4s is the screen size. I’m also mostly a sucker for retro iOS, and I think that’s what I’m looking for in a phone. I see what you mean and it’s unfortunate that SMS and cellular networks are being shut down, but if they weren’t then the 4s would be perfect for me.

Jul 11, 2023 3:28 AM in response to KiltedTim

I have an iPod touch 1st generation, but the main problem for me was there is no SMS messaging, which was a real bummer. Not sure there’s any way to message on them but it only goes up to iPhone OS 3.1.3, which is very slow. It also doesn’t have a camera but that’s not something I’m really worried about.

can i use ios 6 in 2023?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.