Isn’t there an iOS app that runs CarPlay directly on an iOS device?

Isn’t there an iOS app that runs CarPlay directly on an iOS device? I don’t see one in the App Store. Why require another screen?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 8:36 AM

I can see the logic.

The head unit in my car doesn’t support CarPlay. it’s impossible to replace it with one that does because other functionality is integrated with the infotainment system.

It would be nice to have a simpler, CarPlay like interface on the phone itself while driving.

9 replies

Jul 10, 2023 9:43 AM in response to mehcl

mehcl wrote:

It’s not clear that the native iOS interface can allow the split screen that CarPlay allows, for example 2/3 maps and 1/3 another app. I suppose Siri could voice control the apps in the same way, but the larger buttons and text are also a benefit of CarPlay mode.

True, on an iPhone Split Screen is not available.

An iPad on the other hand, does offer that option. An iPad mini might work for what you want in that case.

And there's always external after market Car Play units: https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Multimedia-Bluetooth-Navigation-Vehicles/dp/B0B421845R/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=apple+carplay&qid=1689007296&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

No need to replace the current screen and its features.

Jul 10, 2023 12:38 PM in response to Phil0124

But I already have an iPhone, in fact several. It would make more sense to enable a CarPlay mode, like night mode, than to add another iOS device or an Android device which strangely, is the OS that hosts the Autokit.apk which, when paired to an iOS device provides CarPlay on the Android host. Then that software isn’t fully verified to be free of malware. The fact that there’s that much of an aftermarket for people to buy an Android device and use foreign software to retrofit CarPlay is a measure of how useful a CarPlay mode in iOS would be.

Isn’t there an iOS app that runs CarPlay directly on an iOS device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.