Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple account locked

Why when I try to sign into iTunes am I being told “your account is locked for security purposes”? And why does it require a password reset to unlock it? And what are the consequences of changing my password?

iPhone 14 Plus, 16

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 9:27 AM

MikeyJohnS wrote:

Why when I try to sign into iTunes am I being told “your account is locked for security purposes”?

And why does it require a password reset to unlock it?

Because somebody might be close to guessing your actual password.

And what are the consequences of changing my password?

You re-gain access to your Apple ID.

If you don’t already have two-factor authentication enabled, consider enabling that.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

For some of what can happen with a compromised Apple ID:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Losing control of an Apple ID is catastrophic, if the perpetrator is inclined to be malicious and destructive.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2023 9:27 AM in response to MikeyJohnS

MikeyJohnS wrote:

Why when I try to sign into iTunes am I being told “your account is locked for security purposes”?

And why does it require a password reset to unlock it?

Because somebody might be close to guessing your actual password.

And what are the consequences of changing my password?

You re-gain access to your Apple ID.

If you don’t already have two-factor authentication enabled, consider enabling that.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

For some of what can happen with a compromised Apple ID:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Losing control of an Apple ID is catastrophic, if the perpetrator is inclined to be malicious and destructive.

Jul 12, 2023 5:22 AM in response to MikeyJohnS

My son's Iphone XR broke down after an update, and would not start up. While trying to fix that he got locked out of his Apple Account. Because the Iphone only have a black screen there is no way to identify any incoming OTP's or request. All his information was on his emails and on the phone's notes that he no longer has access too, including the 13 digit recovery key.

We went through all the pains of security questions verifying its his phone and his account including sending the proof of purchase as well as a photo of the original box with IMEI on, that confirms that it belongs to him. Apple's answer is now the account will be wiped!!!! That is not what we wanted, we need all the emails and the notes!! Why go through all the trouble of convincing Apple that the phone and the account belongs to us only to get it deleted! I have lost all my respect for Apple and will never buy Apple products again if this is their motto!!

Jul 12, 2023 8:28 AM in response to Mariana Els

Mariana Els wrote:

My son's Iphone XR broke down after an update, and would not start up. While trying to fix that he got locked out of his Apple Account. Because the Iphone only have a black screen there is no way to identify any incoming OTP's or request. All his information was on his emails and on the phone's notes that he no longer has access too, including the 13 digit recovery key.

We went through all the pains of security questions verifying its his phone and his account including sending the proof of purchase as well as a photo of the original box with IMEI on, that confirms that it belongs to him. Apple's answer is now the account will be wiped!!!! That is not what we wanted, we need all the emails and the notes!! Why go through all the trouble of convincing Apple that the phone and the account belongs to us only to get it deleted! I have lost all my respect for Apple and will never buy Apple products again if this is their motto!!

This is a different issue than is discussed in the original post, and earlier in this thread.

If an Apple ID has had a Recovery Key configured and then subsequently lost, and the user has also lost access to the Apple ID password and a trusted device, then there is no recovery.

You might still be able to regain access to the devices, if you have original purchase receipts accessible.

Enabling Recovery Key fundamentally means the user is responsible for password reset and recovery.

Recovery Key is unforgiving. But that unforgivingness is the fundamental reason for enabling Recovery Key.

Per Apple: Using a recovery key is more secure, but it means that you’re responsible for maintaining access to your trusted devices and your recovery key. If you lose both of these items, you could be locked out of your account permanently. With that in mind, it's important to keep your recovery key in a safe place. You might want to give a copy of your recovery key to a family member, or keep copies in more than one place. That way you always have your recovery key when you need it.

Apple account locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.