Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Erroneous Storage is Full message on iPad

I have a 6th gen ipad. On my Storage data screen, it says I have used 8.4 GB of 32 GB storage. Whenever I try to add new files (movies, software updates), I get a storage is full message. What is going on here?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 3:48 AM

What is the exact wording you see? Might it perhaps be complaining of not enough iCloud storage rather than iPad storage?

You can check your available iCloud storage from iPad settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Manage Account Storage

Unless you have subscribed to a higher “paid” storage tier, you will be limited to 5GB of iCloud storage. While this may be sufficient for basic device synchronisation, if you are storing iCloud backups, photos or files in iCloud, the “free of charge” storage quota is very easy to fill.

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 3:48 AM in response to bpmangano

What is the exact wording you see? Might it perhaps be complaining of not enough iCloud storage rather than iPad storage?

You can check your available iCloud storage from iPad settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Manage Account Storage

Unless you have subscribed to a higher “paid” storage tier, you will be limited to 5GB of iCloud storage. While this may be sufficient for basic device synchronisation, if you are storing iCloud backups, photos or files in iCloud, the “free of charge” storage quota is very easy to fill.

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Erroneous Storage is Full message on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.