Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old hp not compatible with new mini mac?

My new mini mac 2 arrived today. Now my old monitor (hp 2011x) doesn’t work. I’ve tried changing ports and adapters. I get this for a couple seconds, then the monitor goes into sleep mode. Do I need a newer monitor? I’m also reading usb c mac to monitor is better than hdmi. True?

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 7:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 8:30 PM

Here’s the HP manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03351672

Your options here are VGA or DVI. Limited. Low-res.

(Also not HDCP. No protected media content with this monitor. But that’s not the central issue here.)

Here are the Apple configuration details:

Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

This will involve the USB-C VGA Multiport adapter, or the USB-C to DVI adapter.

Check the adapter to see what resolutions it supports.

You’re likely running into issues with the the adapter or the cable, maybe with the monitor settings.

This monitor is… pretty limited. Any digital TV will have higher resolution, have HDCP, and HDMI connections.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2023 8:30 PM in response to memathews4

Here’s the HP manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03351672

Your options here are VGA or DVI. Limited. Low-res.

(Also not HDCP. No protected media content with this monitor. But that’s not the central issue here.)

Here are the Apple configuration details:

Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

This will involve the USB-C VGA Multiport adapter, or the USB-C to DVI adapter.

Check the adapter to see what resolutions it supports.

You’re likely running into issues with the the adapter or the cable, maybe with the monitor settings.

This monitor is… pretty limited. Any digital TV will have higher resolution, have HDCP, and HDMI connections.

Jul 10, 2023 8:10 PM in response to memathews4

matthew 4 19 Said:

"old hp not compatible with new mini mac?: My new mini mac 2 arrived today. Now my old monitor (hp 2011x) doesn’t work. I’ve tried changing ports and adapters. I get this for a couple seconds, then the monitor goes into sleep mode. Do I need a newer monitor? I’m also reading usb c mac to monitor is better than hdmi. True?"

-------

Thank you or the photo.

This as a HDCP Issue. It all began for me in Catalina. Report back if the does the trick... This movie won’t play in HD on your connected displays - Apple Community

old hp not compatible with new mini mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.