Wind direction arrow is supposed to point to where wind is coming from. Why does the Arrow point in the opposite direction ?

Wind directional Arrow points toward where the wind is going, instead of where the wind is originating, which is what Arrows on Weathervanes do. Why???

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 2:07 AM

10 replies

May 26, 2024 5:40 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

This is about the arrow on Apple Watch that shows the wind direction as one of the weather indicators. Various weather indicators can be placed on the faces of the watch, such as temperature and wind. The arrow indicating wind is very useful to pilots and sailors. However, it points in the opposite direction to all traditional physical wind indicators. If wind is from the south, the arrow points to the north. A weather vane or airport wind indicator would point to the south.

May 26, 2024 6:25 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The standard convention IS that wind direction instrumentation arrows point INTO the wind.

This is also how “wind vanes” are configured.

Wind Socks obviously “trail” downwind but their “mouth” is still pointing upwind … (think of it as a fish swimming)

A standard weather report does indeed cite where the wind is coming FROM.

A reported “Easterly” breeze of 090 DegT is coming from the East.

Meteorologists, mariners, and pilots ALL use these same conventions.

As to the arrows cited by OP on the Apple Watch … I too would like to see an image.

If it’s indeed as the OP posts … with the arrows pointing downwind … the app developer indeed has it backwards.

May 27, 2024 8:27 AM in response to Thomas Cook1

"The standard convention IS that wind direction instrumentation arrows point INTO the wind."

Nope, it is not convention anywhere. Plain arrows point the direction of the wind on a wind map, always been that way. A wind indication device points into the wind, it's the opposite, always has been. This is normal.

May 27, 2024 9:37 AM in response to BenB

I’m not sure I understand the opening of your reply, although I completely concur w/ the follow-on statements.

First it’s stated that it’s not convention anywhere

… then the reply goes on to cite the two standardized conventions:

Indicating instruments point “into” the wind. (into the flow)

Wind Maps and other meteorological products‘ symbology points “downwind” (with the flow).

I guess the question is whether an Apple Watch’s display is (or should be) considered an “instrument” or a “mapping symbol.”

To my own personal way of thinking, it should display as an instrument.

That said, I can see why a developer might choose “mapping symbol” as it’s being developed for a “mass audience.”

Wind direction arrow is supposed to point to where wind is coming from. Why does the Arrow point in the opposite direction ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.