apple photos app

how do you merge all your duplicate photos all at once instead of doing it one set at a time?

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 12:26 PM

But you should check all suggested duplicates before you merge them summarily or you might lose photos.

• Occasionally the suggested duplicates are no duplicates at all and are just having the same filename and a similar capture date.
  • Occasionally the suggested duplicates are looking similar, but are different photos of the same scene. Then you may want to decide yourself, which photo is the better shot, as it is a matter of artistic taste.
  • Photos will flag photos as duplicates, even when I created the duplicate myself, because I needed two differently edited versions of the same photo.
  • And if the two duplicates are having different metadata, different capture dates or different locations, only you can know, which date or location are the correct ones and should be kept.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 12:26 PM in response to Curt1970

But you should check all suggested duplicates before you merge them summarily or you might lose photos.

• Occasionally the suggested duplicates are no duplicates at all and are just having the same filename and a similar capture date.
  • Occasionally the suggested duplicates are looking similar, but are different photos of the same scene. Then you may want to decide yourself, which photo is the better shot, as it is a matter of artistic taste.
  • Photos will flag photos as duplicates, even when I created the duplicate myself, because I needed two differently edited versions of the same photo.
  • And if the two duplicates are having different metadata, different capture dates or different locations, only you can know, which date or location are the correct ones and should be kept.

apple photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.