Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iMovie 10.3.6 Voiceover Stopped Working

Just updated to iMovie 10.3.6 and now Voiceover does not work. No countdown, no timeline progression, nothing. This forum suggested deleting iMovie preferences, which I did and now my entire iMovie library is gone. I found a couple of copies and started them with iMovie and there are no projects in any copy.

So 2 problems: Voiceover is broken in 10.3.6 and What happened to my iMovie library?

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 7:54 PM

Sometimes with updates iMovie preferences can go askew. Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, sometimes an issue can appear in one specific project and not in others. Try creating a new project and see if the voiceover feature works properly there.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 7:54 PM in response to dwstokes11

Sometimes with updates iMovie preferences can go askew. Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, sometimes an issue can appear in one specific project and not in others. Try creating a new project and see if the voiceover feature works properly there.

-- Rich

Jul 11, 2023 7:49 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich, I have confirmed that my mic is enabled for iMovie as you suggest and that it does provide input to my iMovie project and is chosen as the input device in iMovie.

What happens is the timeline goes back 3 seconds and freezes before initiating the countdown so I never get the opportunity to provide a voiceover. This all worked great before the 10.3.6 update. I'm starting the think that I'm stuck until the next update to fix this bug. I would uninstall the upgrade if I knew how.

Jul 11, 2023 8:04 PM in response to Rich839

If no luck with the procedures that I mentioned in my previous post, a workaround would be to use the Voice Memos app on your Mac. Create a voice memo to use as your voiceover, and then drag it out from the Voice Memo sidebar to your desktop. From there drag it into your iMovie project and use as a voiceover.

-- Rich

iMovie 10.3.6 Voiceover Stopped Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.