Looking for High Sierra installer

Where can I get a useable installer for High Sierra? The .dmg file I saved from way back when it was released will not work (it gives me a "this installer is damaged" error message). I have an old 2011 vintage iMac that I use as a file server and I want to update it from Sierra to High Sierra so that I can have support for APFS drives.

All attempts to get this from the App Store have been useless.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 1:08 PM

See my post How to download the complete installation… - Apple Community

There you can found the answer to your question (just the EXACT answer, as I have also an old 2011 "vintage" iMac :p). Be careful to remove ANY other copies of the installer you have on your Mac before proceeding with the download from the Apple Store.

Regards.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 11, 2023 6:19 PM in response to Loroi

If you get a corrupted message...

Naw, not damaged, it's just that you have an old copy already in Applications...

If you’re short of bandwidth or data…Disconnect from the Internet & set the Date back to 2014, then you can run the Install MacsOS High Sierra App in Applications, so expired Certificates are not expired.

Jul 12, 2023 7:01 PM in response to BDAqua

I should have remembered the ploy about changing the date. That did the trick. To be on the safe side, I thought I should test it out on an external drive and not touch what was already on the iMac. I was able to build the external drive and update it to High Sierra with the installer file I already had. So, there was, indeed nothing wrong with it.

Sadly, though, before I could manage to reboot the iMac from its internal drive and then install there, it kernel panicked and I cannot do a thing with it. So it will visit the Genius Bar and perhaps they can bring it back to life. If it ain't one thing, it's another...

Jul 13, 2023 12:24 PM in response to BDAqua

For whatever reason, the info on doing this which I found previously suggested the Shift key (which was not helpful). Option key was just the ticket! I have now managed to get this little beastie back up and running with High Sierra OS installed. Now I can support my APFS drives. I could not have done it without you - thank you very much!

And I cancelled my appointment at the Genius Bar... :-)

Looking for High Sierra installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.