why is my Touch ID not working

Why is Touch ID not working

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 4:25 AM

There could be several reasons why the Touch ID on your MacBook Pro 14" may not be working. Here are some potential causes and troubleshooting steps you can try:

Clean your fingerprint sensor: Ensure that the Touch ID sensor is clean and free from any dirt, oil, or debris. Gently wipe the sensor with a clean, lint-free cloth.

Check for software updates: Make sure your MacBook Pro's operating system is up to date. Apple frequently releases software updates that can address bugs and improve compatibility, including Touch ID functionality.

Restart your MacBook Pro: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve software glitches that may be affecting the Touch ID. Restart your MacBook Pro and see if the issue persists.

Reset Touch ID settings: Go to "System Preferences" on your MacBook Pro, then select "Touch ID." Remove your fingerprints by clicking on the "-" button next to each fingerprint, and then re-add them by clicking on the "+" button.

Verify fingerprint enrollment: Ensure that your fingerprints are properly enrolled in the Touch ID settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to add and register your fingerprints.

Check for hardware issues: If the above steps do not resolve the problem, there may be a hardware issue with the Touch ID sensor. Contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further assistance and potential repairs.

It's worth noting that without more specific information about the symptoms or error messages you're experiencing, it's difficult to provide an exact solution.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2023 4:25 AM in response to Bmsolt

There could be several reasons why the Touch ID on your MacBook Pro 14" may not be working. Here are some potential causes and troubleshooting steps you can try:

Clean your fingerprint sensor: Ensure that the Touch ID sensor is clean and free from any dirt, oil, or debris. Gently wipe the sensor with a clean, lint-free cloth.

Check for software updates: Make sure your MacBook Pro's operating system is up to date. Apple frequently releases software updates that can address bugs and improve compatibility, including Touch ID functionality.

Restart your MacBook Pro: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve software glitches that may be affecting the Touch ID. Restart your MacBook Pro and see if the issue persists.

Reset Touch ID settings: Go to "System Preferences" on your MacBook Pro, then select "Touch ID." Remove your fingerprints by clicking on the "-" button next to each fingerprint, and then re-add them by clicking on the "+" button.

Verify fingerprint enrollment: Ensure that your fingerprints are properly enrolled in the Touch ID settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to add and register your fingerprints.

Check for hardware issues: If the above steps do not resolve the problem, there may be a hardware issue with the Touch ID sensor. Contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further assistance and potential repairs.

It's worth noting that without more specific information about the symptoms or error messages you're experiencing, it's difficult to provide an exact solution.

Sep 8, 2023 7:38 AM in response to Bmsolt

Hello. I am not an Apple Support person, but this exact same problem has happened to me. I tried everything. I even went to the genius bar - were it worked perfectly, but when I got back home, it stopped working again.

The good news is I found a fix.

Place your thumb near the track pad and then place your index finger on the touch id.

I know it sounds crazy, but it works every time, and it has worked on my wife's laptop as well.

If it works for you please post it to others. Thanks!

why is my Touch ID not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.