Adding a printer

I just uprated to Big Sur but cannot add printer. Apple Support tried everything they could and said I should try Epson who tried everything but said it was an Apple issue because Airprinter is not showing as a choice.

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 11:19 AM

I am sorry you are having printer problems. If you will bear with me, I will offer some things to consider. Whenever we install an operating system upgrade or some OS updates, printers and scanners will often stop working. Then a new OS compliant printer software must be installed. If one is not available, sometimes an older one will work. What we can do is to thoroughly check the printer web site for an updated driver that works with your operating system. If one is not available, then we should ask when one will be released. If that doesn't work, if the Printer has the Air Print feature, which you imply, that should be available.

When you say "they tried everything", that is not information we can evaluate and use. What specifically was done/tried?

I suggest doing a restart in the Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift key on restart. Be patient sas it can take up to ten minutes while the Mac's OS is repairing itself and clearing its caches. Then see if the Air Print feature is avsilable. If so, connect and restart normally.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2023 11:19 AM in response to bwlch

I am sorry you are having printer problems. If you will bear with me, I will offer some things to consider. Whenever we install an operating system upgrade or some OS updates, printers and scanners will often stop working. Then a new OS compliant printer software must be installed. If one is not available, sometimes an older one will work. What we can do is to thoroughly check the printer web site for an updated driver that works with your operating system. If one is not available, then we should ask when one will be released. If that doesn't work, if the Printer has the Air Print feature, which you imply, that should be available.

When you say "they tried everything", that is not information we can evaluate and use. What specifically was done/tried?

I suggest doing a restart in the Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift key on restart. Be patient sas it can take up to ten minutes while the Mac's OS is repairing itself and clearing its caches. Then see if the Air Print feature is avsilable. If so, connect and restart normally.

Adding a printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.