Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Allow contact editing glitch

I have set up screentime for an elderly family member. I specifically wanted to control Allow Contact editing as this family member was constantly blocking contacts so no one could get ahold of them.

My family member insisted the phone was doing this on its own. After turning off Allow Contact editing using screentime I discovered that going to the Recent Contacts list and pressing the question mark icon, there was still the option to Block contacts in the list. Is this a feature glitch?

At the moment, this family member has blocked everyone who regularly calls her. Is it possible the phone is blocking numbers on its own? I have checked all settings and gone as far as getting a new phone, a new apple ID, setting up all contacts and phone settings manually, changing carriers, nothing has stopped this problem. Could the number have gotten on a spam list and this is causing the problem? Or is it my elderly family member doing this?

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 7:29 AM

No, the phone doesn't block the contacts on its own. The user is doing it. I would suggest you sit with them and have them show you what exactly they are doing when they make or receive a call. Just watch. You might be able to figure out what it is they are doing that is causing the problem.

You could try using one of the Contacts widgets instead of Favorites. That would put the contacts (with pictures if you have those in the contacts entry) right on the screen of the phone. That might prevent them from messing with things. Don't know, though.

How to add and edit widgets on your iPhone - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 7:29 AM in response to Mozy45

No, the phone doesn't block the contacts on its own. The user is doing it. I would suggest you sit with them and have them show you what exactly they are doing when they make or receive a call. Just watch. You might be able to figure out what it is they are doing that is causing the problem.

You could try using one of the Contacts widgets instead of Favorites. That would put the contacts (with pictures if you have those in the contacts entry) right on the screen of the phone. That might prevent them from messing with things. Don't know, though.

How to add and edit widgets on your iPhone - Apple Support

Allow contact editing glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.