I purchased an ipad pro from a pawn shop, only to discover that it is locked by the carrier of the former owner. Any solutions

I purchased an iPad Pro from a pawn shop. The cellular function for iPad is “locked” by the carrier (Verizon). What can I do to make this iPad functional?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 4:20 PM

DaHuge1 wrote:

I purchased an iPad Pro from a pawn shop. The cellular function for iPad is “locked” by the carrier (Verizon). What can I do to make this iPad functional?

You'll need to discuss that with Verizon. Only the carrier can release the carrier lock.

3 replies

Jul 13, 2023 4:21 PM in response to DaHuge1

As described, the iPad has a subsidy lock. This usually indicates that the device was purchased directly from the Cellular Carrier at a discount - along with a Cellular plan. The subsidy lock can only be removed by the carrier to which the iPad is locked.

Assuming that the minimum contract period has expired - and all outstanding charges associated with the Cellular plan have been paid, the Carrier may remove the subsidy lock. There may a small fee to remove the lock.

I purchased an ipad pro from a pawn shop, only to discover that it is locked by the carrier of the former owner. Any solutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.