Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Can an iOS update be downloaded without consent?

I just received the below alert and I do not have automatic downloads activated on my phone. Can this be done without my consent?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 5:18 AM

It is possible to have Automatic Updates showing off, but still have Security Response updated automatically. Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates. Here you can choose either iOS updates or Security Response Updates. If you shut off iOS updates, the previous screen will show that Automatic Updates are off, even though the option for Security Responses is on.

It sounds like you have the Automatic Updates off for iOS, but have it on for the Security Responses and the notification you are seeing would be legitimate. It does not have any of the tell tale signs of a phishing attempt. If it did, then you would have an option to cancel and the tone would make it seem more urgent. There is nothing requiring action on your part.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 5:18 AM in response to seanypeach

It is possible to have Automatic Updates showing off, but still have Security Response updated automatically. Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates. Here you can choose either iOS updates or Security Response Updates. If you shut off iOS updates, the previous screen will show that Automatic Updates are off, even though the option for Security Responses is on.

It sounds like you have the Automatic Updates off for iOS, but have it on for the Security Responses and the notification you are seeing would be legitimate. It does not have any of the tell tale signs of a phishing attempt. If it did, then you would have an option to cancel and the tone would make it seem more urgent. There is nothing requiring action on your part.

Jul 14, 2023 5:06 AM in response to seanypeach

The wording of that message ("Security Response", and "16.5.1 (c)" – why the "(c)"?) is suspicious.

Makes me wonder if it might be a "phishing" notification from a Web site, with a copy of Apple's icon pasted on (in the place where a custom icon would go) to fool you into thinking it is genuine. From other threads, it appears that there has been some of that going on with Web site / Safari notifications on the Mac.

I don't know if the same thing could be going on with the iPhone, but just in case, I would not tap on that notice to open it, and if I did tap it by mistake, I would not enter any information (like passwords, etc.) in whatever place the notification might lead to.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Jul 14, 2023 5:11 AM in response to seanypeach

Note that, according to OS X Daily, just installing iOS 16.4 will enable the auto-installation preference on your phone.

https://osxdaily.com/2023/04/04/psa-ios-16-4-enables-auto-installing-software-updates-by-default/

I could be wrong about the wording of the message being suspicious, because that article shows a control labeled "Security Responses & System Files" in the Automatic Updates settings screen. It is possible to enable automatic updates of those while disabling automatic updates for other things.

Can an iOS update be downloaded without consent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.