Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

VPN Connection Issue

I set up a VPN on my M2 Mac Mini. At first, it connected automatically. Now, it asks for the VPN password. Is there a way to set it up so it connects automatically without having to enter the password each time?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 10:22 AM

Is this using the built-in VPN software, or some third party VPN application?

Here is a suggestion:

1) Open Keychain Access, search for the name or URL of your VPN connection, and delete the stored password.

2) Connect and make sure to check the box to store this in your keychain (or confirm if a dialog appears asking if you want to store this in the keychain).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 10:22 AM in response to Chris Tsuchimoto

Is this using the built-in VPN software, or some third party VPN application?

Here is a suggestion:

1) Open Keychain Access, search for the name or URL of your VPN connection, and delete the stored password.

2) Connect and make sure to check the box to store this in your keychain (or confirm if a dialog appears asking if you want to store this in the keychain).

Jul 14, 2023 9:51 AM in response to Randall_2023

It is a VPN to connect to the network at work. It is a Cisco IPSec VPN created by the IT Department. I have been able to connect automatically with my older Mac Mini. I replaced it with the M2 Pro Mac Mini. I configured the VPN and it connected automatically for a little while. Later, the VPN connection started to require the name and password to connect.

Jul 14, 2023 12:09 PM in response to Chris Tsuchimoto

Chris Tsuchimoto wrote:

The IT Department gave me the VPN information and I created the VPN configuration in System Settings.

That is good.

For some reason, the correct username and password do not seem to be stored in your keychain - hence my advice above. I have seen similar things happen from time to time. A wrong password stored in the keychain can cause this. Maybe the password changed at some point, and the keychain is still keeping the old one. That would match exactly with the situation you are describing.

VPN Connection Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.