Has anyone else experienced compatibility issues with new scanners and Mac OS Ventura 13.4 (and previous OS versions and updates)

I just purchased an Epson Perfection V600 Photo scanner. Despite the fact, the manufacturer says that it is compatible with the Ventura OS, I cannot operate the scanner with my 13 inch MacBook Pro (OS Ventura 13.4). Has anyone else had this issue with Epson V600 scanners?

Steps taken:

1) Downloaded and installed the latest V600 driver for Mac OS Ventura

2) Checked the system settings and the scanner was detected by my MacBook Pro

3) There is a flashing orange error light on the front panel of the V600 scanner

4) Epson customer service were unable to solve the problem

I have had the exact same issue with HP scanners, however in this case, HP had stopped updating their drivers for the model of scanner I owned. Epson claims they still support the Ventura OS.

Does anyone have a work-around or can they recommend high definition scanners that work seamlessly with Macs?

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:58 AM

Even if the Epson Perfection v600 scanner were free, and based on years of aggravated posts in these communities, it has a terrible productivity opportunity cost in Epson support futility, and getting Epson drivers to work. Some users do get it to work, and others just self-combust from frustration. Everyone should have some idea of what their time is worth…

Often we recommend VueScan Professional software and there are scanners that VueScan certainly supports without vendor drivers. Your HP model might be one of them. However, the v600 is not one of them, and must have working Epson drivers beforehand. VueScan does support the Epson V700, v800, and several Canon scanners (including the CanoScan 9000 Mark II) without any vendor drivers.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Quillnib

Even if the Epson Perfection v600 scanner were free, and based on years of aggravated posts in these communities, it has a terrible productivity opportunity cost in Epson support futility, and getting Epson drivers to work. Some users do get it to work, and others just self-combust from frustration. Everyone should have some idea of what their time is worth…

Often we recommend VueScan Professional software and there are scanners that VueScan certainly supports without vendor drivers. Your HP model might be one of them. However, the v600 is not one of them, and must have working Epson drivers beforehand. VueScan does support the Epson V700, v800, and several Canon scanners (including the CanoScan 9000 Mark II) without any vendor drivers.

Jul 14, 2023 6:37 AM in response to Quillnib

What I see on Epson's page for your scanner…

If you upgrade to macOS 10.14 Mojave, macOS 10.15 Catalina, or macOS 11 Big Sur you’ll need to install the Epson Scan 2 driver below; however, this updated Epson Scan 2 version does not include Digital ICE. As a solution, we are providing the SilverFast SE Scanner Software free of charge. This software includes iSRD®, an Infrared Dust and Scratch Removal tool that you can use in lieu of Digital ICE. LEARN MORE

To download SilverFast SE, please click the link below and follow the instructions.

DOWNLOAD SILVERFAST SE

Jul 14, 2023 7:48 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

Their proprietary Ice editing software is not compatible with Ventura. Silver Speed 9 apparently does work with the Ventura OS. If you go to the driver download page, Epson has a driver for Ventura OS 13. There is another page on their website where they say they are committed to updating their drivers to work in the Apple OS environment.

Jul 14, 2023 12:51 PM in response to Quillnib

It is VueScan Professional that integrates the supported scanner since no vendor drivers are necessary for the right scanner.

I purchased VueScan Professional in 2010 to support a Canon N650U flatbed scanner that no longer had driver support. I have been using this scanner across all Apple operating systems and different hardware, including my M2 Mac mini Pro (Ventura 13.4.1 (c)), since 2010. I use a bus-powered 4-port USB-A 3.2 Gen 2 hub that plugs into my USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 ports on the mini.

The VueScan vendor does not compensate me in any manner for mentioning their product here, and I have never paid for an update to remain current with the product since 2010. Just extremely satisfied customer.

Has anyone else experienced compatibility issues with new scanners and Mac OS Ventura 13.4 (and previous OS versions and updates)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.