VLOOKUP Copy & Paste

Greetings!

I have a document with one tab for each month and a final tab called "Acronyms." I have created a VLOOKUP which uses my input from column A (Product Number) in July, for instance, and returns a value to column B of July from column B in Acronyms (column A is also Product Number in this tab). The formula works perfectly.

VLOOKUP A19 , Acronyms::A2:B306, 2 , exact match

When I try to copy and paste the formula to down column B in July, however, the A2 becomes A3, etc.

VLOOKUP A19 , Acronyms::A3:B306, 2 , exact match

How can I get the initial formula to populate identically in each row?

Thanks and Blessings!

Tim

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:30 AM

It is hard to visualize exactly what you are doing, but you probably need a $ anchor in the formula. Have a look at the 'Distinguish absolute and relative cell references' section here:

Refer to cells in formulas - Apple Support

Also, instead of VLOOKUP, you might want to consider the more modern function XLOOKUP if you have that in your version of Numbers.

XLOOKUP - Apple Support

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 8:30 AM in response to tkofaith

It is hard to visualize exactly what you are doing, but you probably need a $ anchor in the formula. Have a look at the 'Distinguish absolute and relative cell references' section here:

Refer to cells in formulas - Apple Support

Also, instead of VLOOKUP, you might want to consider the more modern function XLOOKUP if you have that in your version of Numbers.

XLOOKUP - Apple Support

SG

VLOOKUP Copy & Paste

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.