Apple Watch unlocking mac

Is it possible to require double click approve to unlock mac with apple watch?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 12:44 PM

See -> Related Article: Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch

• When your Mac asks you to approve with your Apple Watch or enter your password, just double-click the side button on your Apple Watch. Your password is automatically entered without having to type it.

2 replies

Jul 21, 2023 12:42 PM in response to austin_parker

That does not work for me. The dialog comes up without waiting to hear from the watch.

After several weeks of the watch unlocking my Mac, it suddenly stopped working. So, restarted MacBook Pro (M1 Max, Ventura 13.4.1), iPhone 13 (iOS 16.5.1), AND Watch 5 (WatchOS 9.5.2). Doesn't help. This is a VERY OLD BUG!!

Why does the MacOS continue to assert "Watch must be signed into iCloud to allow it to unlock your Mac. You can sign in using the Apple Watch app on your iPhone." That's a bug in itself. There IS NO iCLOUD sign in within the Watch app. The Watch and the phone ARE communicating with each other AND Find Devices on the Watch does find the MacBook Pro!

At least once, I've had to resort to completely reinstalling the Watch (time consuming!!) in order to fix this. Does anyone have a better idea? It seems like the MacOS coding team isn't paying attention (per the misleading and wrong response in System Preferences).

Apple Watch unlocking mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.