What if someone has my device that is logged into into my iCloud account ? I don’t have access to the phone

What do I do if someone has my device and it’s logged into my iCloud account? The phone number is also on my iMessages

iPhone 11

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 6:48 PM

As long as your phone is locked, your passcode is known only to you, and not easily guessed … your data remains inaccessible by even sophisticated criminals.

See next steps here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

9 replies

Jul 15, 2023 11:04 AM in response to Zoeipup

Well … then that person has nearly unlimited ability to act as YOU for any matters conducted via your iPhone.

Nearly anything that you could do using the iPhone, they can too.

Any financial charges or transfers made using the phone might also be non-refutable (i.e. you can’t dispute them) as most T&Cs also require that you maintain and use the designed-in security controls of the device.

Jul 15, 2023 11:26 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I “stopped just short” of making that very suggestion.

The rub - as I see it - is that “marking as lost” (locking the phone) is “unlock-able” with the same device passcode.

Changing the AppleID password to inhibit access is good but it will “tip off” the possessor of the device AND require the OP to have alternate, accessible, “Trusted Numbers” configured. 🤔

Jul 15, 2023 11:26 AM in response to Chattanoogan

It is kind of a last resort. Hopefully, since this person knows the OP's passcode, then they also likely know who it is and will get it back from them. But the fact they already took it suggests they have no intention of returning the phone.

To Zoeipup,

After you change the password, choose to put the phone into Lost Mode. That will lock out anyone who has possession of the phone. Once you get the phone back (if you do), you will be the only one who can release it.

Do not choose to remotely erase the device. If you do, the person will have essentially a new phone to set up as their own. They won't be able to get back into your account after changing the password, but they'll have a free phone.

Edit: The rub - as I see it - is that “marking as lost” (locking the phone) is “unlock-able” with the same device passcode.

Yeah, there isn't a great way to handle this.

What if someone has my device that is logged into into my iCloud account ? I don’t have access to the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.