RFE : Force close all Preview windows without saving?

So, I had copied about 200 images in the Finder to copy from one place to another. Forgetting this, I opened preview and inadvertently created a "new document from Clipboard" which proceeded to open all 200 images in one Preview session. Lame.

I tried closing the window, but it wanted to prompt me one image at a time to "save." Plus, maybe it's a bug, but when I would click "delete" to not save, it kept repeating for the same first image and the total image count would not decrease each time I hit "delete". Very lame!

I quit Preview, and then upon re-opening, it would re-open all the same images from the last session. I was in an endless loop of frustration.

My only luck was that when re-opening, it would re-open "most" of them in separate windows, versus one main window, and I was able to close the separate ones, one at a time, by clicking "delete" at each individual save prompt. But once all the individual windows were closed and it got back to the session with multiples, I would have to quit out of Preview, re-open, and then re-close any images that now luckily re-opened separately.

This all sucked, by the way.

I tried deleting from the thumbnails, holding down option, option cmd-W, anything I could think of that would get around the individual save prompt for each image.

There needs to be a "force close all images" or "close without saving" option for when the next guy opens 200+ images. This can't be the first time this has happened. :D

chris

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 1:03 PM

• Press and hold the Shift key while opening the app. This doesn't change any settings, but the app forgets any windows that were open the last time you quit the app.

Prevent apps and windows from reopening on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

RFE : Force close all Preview windows without saving?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.