Infrared flash continuously flashes into my eyes, even with Face ID, not turned on.

I am curious to know if anyone has any data regarding the intensity or wavelength The infrared flashes on my iPhone are producing? Are these wavelengths ok for vision? I do not have face ID activated on my phone and and there are bursts of infrared flashes while i enter in my code on the Lock Screen. While unlocked, The phone still flashes bursts of infrared into my eyes.

I have only recently realized how often this has been happening since I installed a nighttime camera that could see the infrared pulsing into my eyeballs. I am curious, because like many of us I am always looking into my phone screen. I am hoping these bright, pulsing flashes of infrared are not damaging.

My iPad is also flashing infrared pulses while unlocked and without face ID activated. The only time these flashes are not active is when a movie or TV show is playing from iTunes. Besides that the flashes are continuous while scrolling through emails, looking online and using various apps. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 6:23 PM

The near infrared range Face ID uses (700 to 900 nanometers) is fine for human vision, at the power output intended for and used for Face ID. Near infrared is right next to red light (625 to 750 nanometers) on the spectrum.

I suspect you’re encountering attention awareness setting:

Turn Attention Aware features on or off on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Whether your eyes are unusual as some few folks can see further into infrared than most, or if the emitter is emitting a wider range of light or has some other issue? Or if some screen-protective film is in use here, and is somehow involved here?

I’d have a discussion with Apple Support about this.

PS: Given the subject and given your nick, I would have expected 357. 😉

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2023 6:23 PM in response to Locutus369

The near infrared range Face ID uses (700 to 900 nanometers) is fine for human vision, at the power output intended for and used for Face ID. Near infrared is right next to red light (625 to 750 nanometers) on the spectrum.

I suspect you’re encountering attention awareness setting:

Turn Attention Aware features on or off on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Whether your eyes are unusual as some few folks can see further into infrared than most, or if the emitter is emitting a wider range of light or has some other issue? Or if some screen-protective film is in use here, and is somehow involved here?

I’d have a discussion with Apple Support about this.

PS: Given the subject and given your nick, I would have expected 357. 😉

Sep 10, 2023 7:30 AM in response to robiul18

robiul18 wrote:

Who can i fixed my face id

Apple, and an Apple Authorized Service Provider, if Face ID is broken and requires service.

If the subject of this thread, then Face ID and the TrueDepth camera is working as designed and intended, as various cameras can detect and a very few people can see infrared. One not-great option here is disabling Face ID, and/or disabling the attention awareness feature.

Infrared flash continuously flashes into my eyes, even with Face ID, not turned on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.